Here is a simple series of steps that will support you in accomplishing what you want:
Step 1: Clarify your objective.
Step 2: Do you believe it is possible to achieve? Notice that we are not asking if it is probable, only if it is possible.
Step 3: Think about what it looks like to achieve it. How would you have to be? What type of characteristics would be beneficial?
Step 4: Breathe.
Step 5: Check in Physically. Take on the appropriate posture. Look the part.
Step 6: Perform naturally.
For Example: A sales person about to meet a prospective client.
- Objective: Get the sale.
- Possible: Yes. You know your product. You know the lead has the potential to buy.
- Attributes of Success: I am confident. I am charismatic. I am honest. I am knowledgeable. I am listening.
- Breathe. Calm, slow breathing steadying yourself before entering the arena.
- Check in physically: straight spine, standing tall, shoulders back, smiling, clean teeth, fresh breath, combed hair, and nice, clean clothes
- Perform. Let yourself naturally perform.
What happens after these steps, is more likely to be the desired outcome than if these steps are not taken.